Monday, April 26, 2010

String Wrapped Beads




















I saw an idea in a magazine. It was a necklace kit with string wrapped beads. When I went to the site that sold it, I could not find the beads anywhere! So I decided, I can make those! So I did! Let me show you how I did.








You are going to need the following items:


Wooden Coffee Stirrer or Craft Sticks

Wood Beads(unfinished or finished)

DMC Cotton Perle Floss (the thicker kind)

All Purpose Glue, clear or white, your choice



I used the DMC variegated cotton perle. It is a size 5. It gives you a really unique look. Or you can use 8. I found the variegated at Joanns. Haven't seen it at any of the other craft stores.

The smaller the thread the longer you will be wrapping.


First Rule: Don't cut the thread early. It is best to use it off the spool/bobbin. I have run out a couple of times at the beginning. But if you know the end you cut, you can easily add it to where you ran out. I did this to one I was working on and I can say you can't tell which bead it is.


I have taken a wooden coffee stirrer and trimmed the edges to give it a point. I can then stick the bead onto it and make it easier to wrap. Or you can look for a bag of small craft sticks at the craft store. I bought a bag of them. Plus they can be used for other things later.







The bead pictured was a finished bead. I took an emery board and roughed up the bead to make it easer for the glue to hold the string on it. You can also use unfinished wood beads. They mostly make just round beads in the unfinished wood. The ones I found that were finished were a bunch of great little shapes.

I make a loop so it looks like the tribute ribbons folks wear, then smear a little glue, not a lot, all around the top of the bead hole. The less glue you use the better. If you get too much on just dab it off with your finger. Then apply the string, leave a little tail. When the glue is dry-ish, cut the tail close to the inside of the loop. Then begin wrapping. Which way around is up to you.





At about this point I flip the bead up. The thread will tend to slip a little more so the other direction will help. You may have to watch and move things over with your fingernails or use another craft stick to prevent gluing yourself up.


You are going to want to be a little more attentive towards the end. You want to make sure you don't have any large gaps. Just go slow and pretty soon you are done. You can leave it on the stick or very carefully take it off and set it aside.


Voila! You have just made a String Wrapped Bead!


I try to use as little glue as possible. This way there is less oozing out onto the front face of the thread. If it does leak a little, no big deal. It will only be noticable close up. And once it's in a project you won't be able to tell.


The next post will likely include a few of these beads. Giving you an idea of what can be done once you have made a few. :-)


In craftyness always,


One Crafty Girl Named Lori



















1 comment:

  1. Lori, you rock! This is really cool! I love how you make it seem so easy. :)

    ReplyDelete